The man who knows no foreign language, knows nothing of his mother.

FORREST GUMP - Chapter 3


Chapter 3 The Big Game

On Friday night, I went to the Students’ Centre. There were a lot of people there, and Jenny was wearing a long dress and singing.
Venerdì sera sono andato al Centro Studenti. C'erano molte persone lì e Jenny indossava un lungo vestito e stava cantando.

Three or four other people were in the group with her, and they made a   good sound. Jenny saw me and smiled, and I sat on the floor and listened. It was wonderful.
Tre o quattro altre persone erano nel gruppo con lei e hanno suonato bene. Jenny mi ha visto e ha sorriso ed io mi sono seduto sul pavimento e ho ascoltato. È stato meraviglioso.

They played for about an hour, and I was lying back with my eyes closed, listening happily.
Hanno suonato per circa un'ora ed io stavo sdraiato con gli occhi chiusi, ascoltando felice.

How did it happen? I’m not sure. But suddenly I found that I was playing my harmonica with them!
Come è successo? Non ne sono sicuro. Ma improvvisamente ho scoperto che stavo suonando la mia armonica insieme a loro!

Jenny stopped singing for a second or two, and the others in the group stopped playing.
Jenny smise di cantare per un secondo o due e gli altri del gruppo cessarono di suonare.

Then Jenny laughed and began to sing with my harmonica, and then everybody was saying ‘Wonderful!’ to me.
Poi Jenny rise e iniziò a cantare accompagnata dalla mia armonica e poi tutti mi dissero "Meraviglioso!".

Jenny asked me ‘Forrest, where did you learn to play that thing?’
Jenny mi chiese "Forrest, dove hai imparato a suonare quella cosa?"

‘I didn’t learn anywhere,’ I told her.
"Non ho imparato da nessuna parte," le dissi.

Well, after that, Jenny asked me to play with their group every Friday, and paid me $25 every time!
Bene, dopo quel fatto, Jenny mi chiese di suonare con il loro gruppo ogni venerdì e mi pagò ogni volta con 25 dollari!

The only other important thing that happened to me at the  uni-  versity was the Big Game at the Orange Bowl in Miami that year. It was an important game which Coach Bryant wanted us to win.
L'unica altra cosa importante che mi capitò all'università è stato il Big Game all'Orange Bowl di Miami quell'anno. Era un incontro importante che l'allenatore Bryant voleva che vincessimo.

The game started, and the ball came to me. I took it ─ and ran straight into a group of big men on the other team! Crash! It was     like that all afternoon.
Il gioco è iniziato e la palla è arrivata a me. L'ho presa ─ e sono corso dritto in un gruppetto di grossi uomini dell'altra squadra! Crash! È stato così per tutto il pomeriggio.

When they were winning 28 to 7, Coach  Bryant  called me. ‘Forrest,’ he said, ‘all year we have taught you to catch the ball and run with it. Now you’re going to run like a wild animal. OK?’
Loro stavano vincendo 28 a 7, quando l'allenatore Bryant mi ha chiamato. "Forrest," mi ha detto "per tutto l'anno ti abbiamo insegnato a prendere la palla e a correre con essa. Ora corri come un animale selvatico. OK?'

‘OK, Coach,’ I said.
"OK, allenatore," ho risposto.

And I did. Everybody was surprised to see that I could catch the ball. Suddenly it was 28 to 14!
E l'ho fatto. Tutti furono sorpresi nel vedere che potevo prendere la palla. Immediatamente il punteggio fu 28 a 14!

And after I caught it four or five more times, it was 28 to 21.
E dopo averla presa altre quattro o cinque volte, era 28 a 21.

Then the other team got two men to run after me. But that meant Gwinn was free to catch the ball, and he put us on the 15-yard line. Then Weasel, the kicker, got a field goal, and it was 28 to 24!
Poi l'altra squadra ha utilizzato due uomini per corrermi dietro. Ma questo significava che Gwinn era libero di prendere la palla, e ci ha messo sulla linea delle 15 yard. Poi Weasel, il kicker (giocatore che tenta di mandare la palla tra i pali durante i calci piazzati), ha ottenuto un field goal (calcio piazzato che vale tre punti), punteggio: 28 a 24!

But then things began to go wrong again. Weasel made a bad mistake ─ and then the game finished, and we were the losers.
Ma poi le cose cominciarono ad andare male di nuovo. Weasel fece un brutto errore ─ poi la partita finì e noi fummo sconfitti.

Coach Bryant wasn’t very happy. ‘Well, boys,’ he said, ‘there’s always next year.’
L'allenatore Bryant non fu molto felice. "Beh, ragazzi," disse, "c'è sempre l'anno prossimo."

But not for me. I soon learned that.
Ma non per me. L'ho imparato presto.

I couldn’t stay at the university. I wasn’t clever enough at the  lessons, and there was nothing that anybody could do  about  it.  Coach Bryant was very sad.
Non potevo rimanere all'università. Non ero abbastanza intelligente alle lezioni e non c'era niente che qualcuno potesse fare al riguardo. Il coach Bryant era molto triste.

 ‘I knew this would happen, Forrest,’ he said. ‘But I said to them “Just give me that boy in my team for a year!”, and they did. And    we had a good year ─ the best year, Forrest! Good luck, boy!’
"Sapevo che sarebbe successo, Forrest," disse. 'Ma ho detto loro "Datemi quel ragazzo nella mia squadra solo per un anno!", E lo hanno fatto. E abbiamo avuto un buon anno ─ l'anno migliore, Forrest! Buona fortuna, ragazzo! "

Bubba helped me to put my things in my suitcase,  then  he  walked to the bus with me to say goodbye.
Bubba mi ha aiutato a mettere le mie cose nella valigia, poi è venuto al bus con me per salutarmi.

We went past the  Students’ Centre. But it wasn’t Friday night, and Jenny’s  band  wasn’t playing. I didn’t know where she was.
Siamo passati davanti al Centro Studenti. Ma non era venerdì sera, e la band di Jenny non suonava. Non sapevo dove fosse.

It was late when the bus got to Mobile. Mom knew that I was coming, but she was crying when I got home.
Era tardi quando l'autobus arrivò a Mobile. La mamma sapeva che stavo arrivando, ma lei stava piangendo quando tornai a casa.

‘What’s wrong?’ I asked.
"Cosa c'è che non va?" Chiesi.

‘A letter came,’ she cried. ‘You’ve got to go in the army!’
"È arrivata una lettera", gridò. "Devi andare nell'esercito!"

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento