The man who knows no foreign language, knows nothing of his mother.

FORREST GUMP - Chapter 12


Chapter 12 Little Forrest

Sue and I got off the bus at Savannah, then I went and got a cup of coffee and sat outside the bus station.
Sue e io scendemmo dall'autobus a Savannah, poi andai a prendere una tazza di caffè e mi sedetti fuori dalla stazione degli autobus.

I finished my cup of coffee and I took out my harmonica and began to play.
Terminai la mia tazza di caffè e tirai fuori la mia armonica e cominciai a suonare.

I played two songs ─ and a man walked past and threw some money into my empty coffee cup! I played two more songs, and soon the cup was half full of money!
Ho suonato due canzoni ─ e un uomo è passato e ha buttato un po' di soldi nella mia tazza di caffè vuota! Ho suonato altre due canzoni e presto la coppa era mezza piena di soldi!

By the end of the next week, we were getting ten dollars a day.
Entro la fine della settimana successiva ricevevamo dieci dollari al giorno.

One afternoon when I was playing to  some  people  in  the  park, I noticed that a little boy was watching me carefully.
Un pomeriggio, mentre stavo giocando con alcune persone al parco, ho notato che un bambino mi stava osservando attentamente.

Then I looked up and saw a woman who was standing near him.
Poi alzai gli occhi e vidi una donna che gli stava accanto.

It was Jenny Curran.
Era Jenny Curran.

Her hair was different, and she looked a bit older, and a bit tired, but it was her all right.
I suoi capelli erano diversi, e lei sembrava un po' più vecchia, e un po' stanca, ma era tutto a posto.

She was smiling. ‘Oh, Forrest, I knew it was you when I heard  that harmonica. Nobody plays the harmonica like you do.’
Stava sorridendo."Oh, Forrest, sapevo che eri tu quando ho sentito quell'armonica. Nessuno suona l'armonica come fai tu."

‘What are you doing here?’ I asked her.
"Che cosa stai facendo qui?" Le chiesi.

‘We live here now,’ she said. ‘Donald works in a business here in Savannah. We came here about three years ago.’
"Viviamo qui ora," disse. "Donald lavora in un'azienda qui a Savannah. Siamo venuti qui circa tre anni fa. "

When  I  stopped  playing,  the  rest  of  the  people   walked   away. Jenny sat next to me while the little boy started playing with Sue.
Quando smisi di suonare, il resto della gente si allontanò. Jenny si sedette accanto a me mentre il bambino iniziava a giocare con Sue.

‘Why are you playing your harmonica in the park?’ asked Jenny. ‘Mom wrote and told me about your shrimp business, and how rich you were.’
"Perché stai suonando la tua armonica nel parco?" Chiese Jenny. "La mamma mi ha scritto e mi ha parlato dei tuoi commerci di gamberetti e di quanto sei ricco."

‘It’s a long story,’ I said.
"È una lunga storia," dissi.

‘Is that your little boy?’
"È il tuo bambino?"

‘Yes,’ she said.
"Sì" disse lei.

 ‘What do you call him?’
"Come si chiama?"

‘His name is Forrest,’ she said quietly.
"Il suo nome è Forrest" Disse tranquillamente.

Then she went on, ‘He’s half yours. He’s your son, Forrest.’
Poi proseguì: "È metà tuo. È tuo figlio, Forrest."

I looked at the boy, who was still playing with Sue. ‘My . . . son?’
Ho guardato il ragazzo che stava ancora giocando con Sue. "Mio . . . figlio?"

‘I knew that a baby was on the way when I left Indianapolis,’ said Jenny, ‘but I didn’t want to say anything. I don’t know why. I was worried that perhaps ─’
"Sapevo che aspettavo un bambino quando ho lasciato Indianapolis" disse Jenny" ma non volevo dire niente. Non so perché. Ero preoccupata che forse ─ "

‘Perhaps he would be an idiot,’ I finished for her.
"Forse sarebbe stato un idiota" Ho finito per lei.

‘Yes. But Forrest, he’s not an idiot, he’s really clever.’
'Sì. Ma Forrest non è un idiota, è davvero intelligente."

‘Are you sure that he’s mine?’ I asked.
"Sei sicura che sia mio? "Chiesi.

‘I’m sure,’ said Jenny. ‘He wants to be a football player.’
"Ne sono sicura" disse Jenny. "Vuole diventare un giocatore di football."

I looked at the boy. ‘Can I see him for a minute or two?’
Guardai il ragazzo. "Posso vederlo per un minuto o due?"

‘Of course,’ said Jenny, and she called to him. ‘Forrest, I want you to meet another Forrest. He’s an old friend of mine.’
"Certo" disse Jenny, e lei lo chiamò. "Forrest, voglio che tu incontri un altro Forrest. È un mio vecchio amico."

The boy came and sat down.
Il ragazzo venne e si sedette.

‘What a funny animal you’ve got,’ he said.
"Che animale divertente che hai," disse.

‘He’s an ape,’ I said. ‘His name is Sue.’
"È una scimmia", dissi. "Si chiama Sue."

‘Why is it called Sue if it’s a he?’
"Perché si chiama Sue se è un lui?"

I knew then that I didn’t have an idiot for a son.
Ho capito allora che non avevo un idiota per figlio.

‘Your Mom tells me that you want to be a football player.’
"Tua madre mi dice che vuoi essere un giocatore di football."

‘Yes,’ he said. ‘Do you know anything about football?’
"Sì," disse. "Sai qualcosa del football?"

‘A bit,’ I said. ‘But ask your daddy. He’ll know more than me.’
"Un poco" ho detto. "Ma chiedi a tuo padre. Saprà più di me."

He put his arms round me for a second, then went off to play with Sue again.
Mi ha abbracciato per un secondo, poi è andato a giocare di nuovo con Sue.

Jenny looked at me. ‘How long have we been friends, Forrest? Thirty years? Sometimes it doesn’t seem true.’
Jenny mi ha guardato. "Da quanto siamo amici, Forrest? Trent'anni? A volte non sembra vero."

She moved nearer, and gave me a kiss. ‘Idiots,’ said Jenny. ‘Who isn’t an idiot?’
Si avvicinò e mi diede un bacio. "Idioti", disse Jenny. "Chi non è un idiota?"

Then she got up and held little Forrest’s hand, and they walked away.
Poi si alzò e prese la piccola mano di Forrest e se ne andarono.

After that, I did a few things. I phoned Mr Tribble and told him to give some of my money to my Mom, and some to Bubba’s daddy.
Dopo di ciò, feci alcune cose. Telefonai al signor Tribble e gli dissi di dare un po' del mio denaro a mia madre, e un po' al papà di Bubba.

‘Then send the rest to Jenny and little Forrest,’ I said.
"Poi manda il resto a Jenny e al piccolo Forrest" Dissi.

That night I sat up thinking.
Quella notte mi sono messo a pensare.

‘Perhaps I can put things right with Jenny,’ I thought, ‘now that I’ve found her again.’
"Forse posso sistemare le cose con Jenny," pensai, "ora che l'ho ritrovata."

But the more I thought about it, the more I understood that it was better for the boy to be with Jenny and her husband, and not to have an idiot  for a father.
Ma più ci pensavo, più ho capito che era meglio per il ragazzo stare con Jenny e suo marito e non avere un idiota per un padre.

An idiot? Yes, I’m an idiot. But most of the time I just try to do  the right thing.
Un idiota? Sì, sono un idiota. Ma la maggior parte delle volte cerco solo di fare la cosa giusta.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento